Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My Hero's Journey

My hero happens to be non fictional, my grandma. Her life seems to amaze me as does she everyday. She grew up as an army brat; she had anything she ever wanted. However, it wasn't all so black and white perfect. When she was a young girl she lost her brother to cancer. I cannot put into words how devastated I'd be if I were to lose a sibling at any age let alone a teenager. Coincidentally, she married a soldier. My grandpa was a Vietnam vet and like all the other Vietnam vets he had the post traumatic stress disorder. My grandma never left his side until he was ready. As if losing a sibling wasn't hard enough she  lost her mom, then her dad, and lastly her sister. She is the only one left from her immediate family. Yet, nothing seems to ever bother her. She is so tough and holds down the family as if its just a feather. She cares for me and my four siblings as if we were her own. At a time I practically felt like she was my mom because she was there for us more often then my mom growing up. Through all the obstacles my grandma kept going. Not once did she ever give up, even when she had the most horrific cards to deal with. This is why my grandam is my hero and I love her to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment