Sunday, September 16, 2012

Vocabulary: Fall List #6

beatitude:supreme blessedness; exalted happiness 
*Once baptized, your beatitude child will be more blessed.
bete noire:person or thing especially disliked or dreaded 

*Romney became bete noire after trying to raise middle class taxes.
bode:to be an omen of; portend 

*The rain doesn't bode well for a hike in the mountains. 
dank:unpleasantly moist or humid; damp and, often, chilly:

*Leaving my clothes to dry in the dank basement was a bad idea. 
ecumenical:general; universal. 
*When asked if she looked fat in the dress, I stayed as ecumenical as possible to avoid hurting her feelings.
fervid:heated or vehement in spirit, enthusiasm, etc or glowing

*The fervid history teacher made the otherwise boring lecture worth listening to. 
fetid:having an offensive odor; stinking 

*After the football game, all the fetid players went to the showers-where they belonged.
gargantuan:gigantic; enormous; colossal 

*The gargantuan man of 7 foot made me feel like a dwarf.
heyday:the stage or period of greatest vigor, strength, success,etc.; prime 

*After looking at my Grandma's senior pictures, I can see why she was elected "most attractive" in her heyday. 
incubus:an imaginary demon or evil spirit supposed to descend uponsleeping persons, especially one fabled to have sexualintercourse with women during their sleep (nightmare)

*After watching the movie It, I woke up numerous times from incubuses.
infrastructure:the basic, underlying framework or features of a system or organization. 
*The infrastructure of a government consists of the president, congress, and the governor.
inveigle:to entice, lure, or ensnare by flattery or artful talk orinducements (usually followed by into ) 

*I tried to inveigle my mom into getting me a new car. 
kudos:honor; glory; acclaim 
*Kudos to her for graduating top of her class.
lagniappe:a small gift given with a purchase to a customer, by way of complimentor for good measure; bonus(gratitude)
*Not only did I get the gifts I wanted but she also took me to dinner; what a great lagniappe.
prolix:extended to great, unnecessary, or tedious length; long andwordy. 
*Essays of Montaigne became difficult to read as his prolix writing led me to different concepts.
protege:a person under the patronage, protection, or care of someoneinterested in his or her career or welfare 
*I received an A on the lab with the help of my protege partner, the professor.
prototype:the original or model on which something is based or formed 
*The iPhone 4 is a prototype of the iPhone 5.
sycophant:a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite 
*Because she wanted an A, the sycophant flattered the teacher every opportunity she had.
tautology:needless repetition of an idea, especially in words other thanthose of the immediate context, without imparting additional force or clearness, as in “widow woman.” 
*It's going to rain today or It's not, its a tautology. 
truckle:to submit or yield obsequiously or tamely (usually followed by to )
When you're having doubts, don't truckle to walk away.


Feel free to correct me

No comments:

Post a Comment